21 May 2008

Conference blues

It is still raining. Now it is Swiss rain and it falls on the Swiss lakes and the Swiss mountains, but I have to say that it is still just as grey, and just as wet.

I have had two days of this conference, the conference I’ve come around the world to attend. It is, alas, not what I had hoped it would be. I am working to find the positive in it. And the work isn’t so hard, really. I’m meeting interesting people and have gotten to reconnect with a friend from grad school. I’m having some conversations I don’t generally get to have, and I’m sleeping in a villa built just as the American Revolutionary War was begun. That’s pretty cool.

Pics today of Lake Lugano and a chocolate shop in Lugano town (which was CLOSED when I went back to buy chocolates!). Tomorrow on to England, the last country before home. Do you know that I've managed to be in three countries that all have different currencies and different electrical plugs? Disorientation for every reason...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But hey, there are worse places in the world to be disappointed, eh! Just think how you'll preface your story recounted to your grandchildren with "Well dearie it was a mild and moist day in Switzerland when..."; and "The rain guarded the approach to the castle on the hilltop in Milan, when the fabled yellow spotted lizard appeared. Now, around campfires in days of old, the gallant Knights who sought the Grail used to tell of the mysterious lizard seen only by the Chosen Ones who...".

Anyway, sunshine awaits you in England! And we have lots of chocolate... and the yellow spotted lizard was last seen in...
xxx