05 November 2008

Dangerous liaisons

[I have been working on this entry for several days in snatched time between the many writing projects which are now nearly blissfully behind me. Really the thing that’s most important here is obviously the election—voting going on as I type—but here’s a diversion from earlier in the week.]


My partner Mark says that one of the most risky behaviours one can engage in while traveling is to speak to the person in the seat next to you on an airplane. If ever I mentioned any in-air conversation, Mark would tsk-tsk at me and remind me that a conversation gone bad was bad, without escape, for hours. He’d advise me to plug in ear phones, avoid eye contact, and, if worse came to worse, feign sleep in order to escape from the dreaded conversation of the seat mate.


So it was with Mark’s warning fully in mind that I took my aisle seat on the five hour flight from Dulles to LA last week. My seatmate kept to himself, reading a guide book, and I kept to myself, editing a journal article. But, because I am not Mark Ledden, I couldn’t help noticing that the book opened next to me was a NZ guidebook, an unusual reading choice on a flight to LA unless there’s a longer flight directly following. And so I engaged in that most worrisome of airplane behaviours: I talked first.


Duane (as his named turned out to be), answered. He was meeting his wife in LA and together they were flying (not on an Air NZ plane like me) to New Zealand for 10 days. No, he had made no plans so far and had only a reservation in Auckland for his first night in the country (he is my kind of tourist!). Yes, he was delighted to be sitting next to an American who lived in NZ.


We talked maps and travel plans. He had never been to NZ, but had lived overseas when his son (now 20) was small, in the Caribbean doing work for the Peace Corps. He was on the right side in the upcoming election and had already voted in the swing state of Virginia. He was lovely, with interesting things to say, a gentle presence, the ability to be alternately talking and quiet over the course of our hours strapped next to one another. Duane and I had heaps in common. We seemed drawn to roughly the same tourism activities (not surprising—someone going to NZ is not usually the bright lights and big city kind of person). We even did the same basic work; he was the head of leadership development for a US agency. We talked about a wide range of subjects—and, perhaps more importantly for this introvert pressed by writing deadlines—were often silent together—over the course of our 5 hours of forced-communion.


And so it was, as we prepared for final descent and tucked up our tray tables, I did something far more dangerous than beginning a conversation; I invited him to come and stay with us during his travels. I gave him my name and phone number, and off we went, our separate ways in LA.


As I left the United terminal to cross over to the AirNZ terminal, I was surprised to see Duane waiting for me with his wife, Janet. We chatted about some of the wonderful things she might look forward to, I reiterated my invitation to them both. My gut reaction about Janet was that she was open and lovely, warm and gracious. I plunged out into the warm autumn evening in southern California figuring that I’d never see them again but pleased that I had shared this tiny moment with them.


Five days later, I opened my door in a magnificent spring evening in Paekakariki and welcomed Duane and Janet in for, as it turned out, more moments together. They came bearing thoughtful presents—a bottle of wine, a bag of chocolate chip cookies, a purple flowering plant to grace the garden of our purple house. The kids, when they got home from trick-or-treating, were offered armfuls of art supplies and the gentle guidance of Janet, an artist and art teacher. Over dinner we talked about leadership and travelling, about bringing your children to new places to live, about US politics. They were model guests, playful and interested in the children, warm and grateful (even about a dinner that lost some zing as Naomi and Aidan got carried away by their trick or treating). They talked about the trip so far, and we poured over maps for the trip to come. We walked on the beach at sunset and watched the sliver of a moon sink towards the sea. They were overcome with the beauty of the place. It was hard to believe that these people, total strangers to us, fit so easily into our house.


Duane and Janet had intended to go on to the South Island the next day, but I warned them about an approaching gale. They revised their plans to spend a rainy Saturday in Wellington and a Saturday night cozy in front of our fire before heading off to the ferry in the morning on a sparkling Sunday. And so a second night in our living room, drinking excellent NZ wine, we were feeling grateful for hot fires and double-glazed windows, and for strangers come together to be friends. In the morning it was with real regret that we said goodbye to them, watched friends who were just yesterday strangers go off into a big world where we’ll probably never see them again.


The lessons of this story are subtle and not generalisable. The truth is that I rarely even share a sentence with the person sitting next to me on a plane, because planes are for working and not for chatting. It also could have gone very badly. They could have been difficult under longer circumstances, or Janet could have been justifiably wary over the invitation her husband received from a woman to spend the night at her house (ditto with Michael, by the way). But in that moment and with those people and with me at the exhausting end of a long and often-difficult trip, it was the perfect thing to do. I love being in the world in this way and meeting others who live in that same world. I love that just as I was feeling so far away from the familiar conversations and sounds and relationships of the US, I imported US reminders into my very own NZ living room as a bridge between my lives. I love that this afternoon, there will be other Americans I know—on the South Island—huddled in front of TVs in some bar or hotel lounge rooting for a man who will (I hope) win the presidency in the same week he so sadly lost his grandmother.


Sunday Michael and I went out to breakfast with some friends in town and came home and sat on the cool sand with Melissa to watch the kids in their first week of surf club. We walked home along the beach where I finished Michael’s birthday cake while Melissa and Rob cooked dinner. Here were longer-standing relationships, deep and better aged. Here were four Americans making their way in a new country, celebrating Michael’s 42 year on the planet. Our house, our lives, our hearts, contain space for old and new friends, for quick connections and lifelong ones. The world is vast, and it is also connected. Relationships are the most difficult thing we have, and they are also as natural as breathing. Love is a natural resource without any constraining factors.


Happy birthday Michael.

Happy one-year-in-New-Zealand anniversary, Rob.

Go Obama—let this be the start of a better world order.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Happy Birthday and Anniversary week with a new President for us here whose presence will be felt all over the world.

Anonymous said...

Even though Janet and I have been back home a few weeks, we still find ourselves feeling somewhat unsettled. Certainly there’s a comfort in being able to relax in the familiarity of our own home and an ease in negotiating our daily routines without first having to unpack a suitcase or consult a map. But there’s also a realization, which creeps into my awareness at odd moments, that the trip to NZ and Australia has changed us.

This again became apparent a few nights ago when we snuggled down in front of the fireplace and spent 3 hours watching our latest Netflix arrival, the Lord of the Rings, Part 1. The story was not new to me. I had read the books a long time ago and then had the delightful pleasure of re-reading them aloud to our son when he was young. Plus I had seen the movie when it was first released. But there was something quite different about this experience. Lying in bed before drifting off to sleep, as images replayed themselves in my mind, I felt unexpected emotions – nostalgia and some sadness.

I realize these arose, not from the familiarity of revisiting the story, but from seeing the beautiful scenery and landscapes. For we had recently been there. We had driven through those hills. We had stood awed by those mountains. We had stopped for lunch by those rivers. I had expected to be a tourist in a beautiful country, see wonderful scenery, have adventures and bring home great photos. But I didn’t expect to become attached. These feelings brought the awareness of how much New Zealand had snuck into our hearts and our bones. We had invited ourselves into her life with a visit but here she was returning with us!

This brings me to the airplane ride that got us there in the first place and to the chance encounter that Jennifer speaks of so eloquently. As the other party involved in that buckled-up and serendipitous conversation, I was delightfully surprised to find myself sitting next to someone who knew a lot about New Zealand. I hadn’t really made a plan for the trip other than meeting up with Janet at LAX, flying to Auckland, staying there on day one and departing Christchurch for Adelaide on day ten. I trusted I would meet informative people and hear about interesting places to visit once I got there.

I too am leery of airplane conversations. I generally say hello in order to be polite and set a more comfortable tone for later transitions in and out of the seats, but then quickly go to my reading materials, with iPod and earbuds handy if my seat companion turns to be more chatty than I would like.

In this case Jennifer’s casual conversation about NZ was certainly welcome, and I remember thinking to myself that I appreciated her willingness to offer it. She pointed out some of her favorite places on the map in my guidebook, and we discussed destinations that might work within my timeframe. I read detailed descriptions while she worked on her paper, and she again answered questions that came up for me as I sketched out plans and possibilities. It was a very pleasant trip, those five hours from Dulles to Los Angeles. I would meet up with Janet at LAX, and we would fly to New Zealand armed with Jennifer’s suggestions. It felt like an auspicious beginning to a long-awaited vacation trip.

It’s one thing to be offered advice by a stranger on an airplane, even when the conversation is comfortable and that advice is solicited. It’s quite another to be invited to visit her home and stay over with her family. This puts things into an entirely different realm. As she mentions, the usual rules don’t apply here. There’s no rational reason why she would extend that invitation to two strangers, one of whom she hadn’t yet met yet. There’s no solid reason why those two people would accept that invitation in the middle of an itinerary that needed to cover too much ground in way too little time.

So, Jennifer, why did you do it? Who knows! Why did we accept and follow up by turning into your driveway that day? Who cares! The important thing is we all made it happen, and it was a wonderful visit. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and Michael, Naomi and Aiden and getting to know you all and your life a bit. And we are extremely grateful for your hospitality in the midst of your usual busy daily routines.

It’s risky business, this extending and accepting of invitations. It carries us to new places in spite of the unknowns. It pushes us to explore our uncertainties and not stop ourselves in spite of them. It helps us discover new territory and new relationships, and in doing so also discover and share new parts of our selves.

Was our time in New Zealand a one-shot deal, another nice international trip among many in our lives that we’ll remember fondly until the intensity of feeling fades and all we are left with are some memories and a bunch of scenic photos? Somehow I don’t think so. Will our visit with the Kiwibergers be a brief chapter in that history of experiences so that we never meet again? No, it doesn’t feel that way.

So let’s see what happens next. In the meantime, Jennifer, thanks for that gutsy invitation. And Michael, Naomi and Aiden, thanks for graciously taking a couple of strangers into your home for a few days. You all seem part of New Zealand, and New Zealand seems to be part of you. Which means, for Janet and I, that all of you are now part of our lives, and our hearts as well.