04 February 2014

Change in the weather

-->
When we first came to New Zealand years ago, we were amazed at how much people talk about the weather here. You’ll find blogs from years ago marking our surprise about this. One of the common explanations is that we were used to “continental weather” and not “island weather.” Continental weather rolls across big land masses and is more predictable and more stable (though try telling that to the folks in Atlanta this week). Island weather is pushed around over the sea where strange things happen to weather and so it changes faster and less predictably than continental weather. This is a place where a southerly gale in the morning can be followed by a northerly gale in the same afternoon.

Turns out that cancer means that my internal weather is island weather. While the overall patterns tend to sunny and warm, the dark clouds can blow in without warning; sometimes the gales are ferocious, and sometimes the fog is impenetrable.  Last night I fell asleep thinking about how helpful it was to have such hormone receptive cancer—get rid of estrogen (its food) and it starves. Awesome.

This morning I woke to emails about the side effects of starving the rest of your body of estrogen: early menopause, depression, brain fog, heart problems, early onset Alzheimer’s. Ghastly. It’s as if the female body has the sense that without estrogen, it’s time to pack up and move on. The fog closed in.

I am finding that my sadness has different qualities. I am more often near tears than I ever have been; I find that sometimes a phrase catches unexpectedly in my throat and my eyes overflow almost without my noticing. Generally it is a rich and full sadness, woven through with joy and loss and delight and beauty. A poignant and bittersweet love for life even though we are all going to leave this spectacular place at some point. More rarely—but still regularly, alas—the sadness thins and becomes brittle and won’t associate with joy. It becomes dementor sadness that sucks the joy out and won’t allow other emotions to live alongside it.  This I guess would be despair. I hate the things that well up with despair.

I hate that when Aidan was writing his obligatory essay about what he did on his summer vacation, he had to ask me what stage my cancer is. I hate that it hurts to sleep. I hate that my body is unfamiliar to me now. I hate that a snide remark from a teenage girl can send me into tears, fleeing the dinner table. I hate the green tea I am drinking religiously. I hate that the walk to Melissa’s leaves me so weary. I hate that I can’t yet lift the cast iron skillet. I hate that I had to cancel three months of work I was excited about. I hate that a quarter of us will die from the bizarre quirk of cells that don't remember to die themselves. There is so much to hate about cancer.
Dr Servan-Schereiber (who wrote Anticancer) talks about how despair feeds cancer, and I can say that the feeling is mutual. At each new piece of news, I can feel my perspective narrow as the fog settles in and hides the bigger landscape. At first that fog was, in addition to miserable, also terrifying because I thought maybe it would settle in for a while. Now I’ve seen the weather come and go and I know that the fog of despair is as temporary as it is unflinchingly bleak. Each round now contains the weight of the other rounds, but it also contains the clear memory that it’s temporary. But when the despair is here, I am lost for a little while before I am found.
And God help the person who walks in and tries to cheer me up right then (sorry to those of you who have tried so lovingly). This is a time for hunkering in to join me under the cloud cover and cuddling against the chill, not a time to try and change the atmosphere or convince me it's not so bad. Later I’ll be able to listen to reason and solicit data and stories (solicitation request below). In the fog I just want a hand to hold through the misery that looks, temporarily, endless.

And then the wind blows and the rain howls and the picture might stay dark, but it begins pulsing with other possibilities. Tonight it would help me make sense of my bewildering landscape if any of my sisters in breast cancer will either comment below or email me about the role of the estrogen blockers (whether you went with tamoxifen or surgery or an aromatase inhibitor) in your life (mood? brain power? sex life? sense of joy?). This morning I couldn’t have heard your stories in the deafening silence of the fog. Tonight I crave them in the slanting light of sunset. Tonight I am as in touch with the things I love about my life as the things I hate.

I love that it will never be January 2014 again. I love that I get messages from people all around the world who tell me that I’ve made a difference in their lives and that people pray for me in at least half a dozen languages. I love that I fall asleep listening to the sound of the waves. I love that Aidan reads me Harry Potter when I lie down for my nap. I love the foam in my coffee in the morning. I love that Dolce curls up next to me as I type and moves into my lap if I cry. I love the taste of a fresh tomato when I eat it warm in my garden. I love that Michael loves me a little more now that I have cancer than he did before (and he loved me a lot then). I love that Melissa saw a pod of dolphins while she was waiting for my plane to land yesterday. I love that Naomi and I both took pictures of the sunset tonight—from my bedroom—and then compared them with the pictures we have taken at sunset the last two nights to decide which night was the most beautiful (it was a draw). I love that I feel more alive than I did in December.

The sunsets are more beautiful on a cloudy evening, and they get more beautiful as the light fades. These are just some things you discover about the beauty and mystery of the weather pattern here on this peculiar island of mine…

5 comments:

Flav o'seas said...

Kia ora Jennifer

Heard from work of your unexpected and unwelcome brush with cancer.
Sending you lots of hugs and love.

Your blog entry tonight touched me deeply. You are going through a hugely upsetting time. That's so unfair.

Others who you have touched (like me) will be sharing concern for you, and sending you our aroha.

Best Jeff Flavell

Unknown said...

Jennifer, I hope you don't mind but I have given your blog link to another lovely friend of mine who has just finished her chemo after mastectomy. She is also a pathologist and her medical knowledge could be helpful if she chooses to follow up and comment.

Diane said...

Hi Jennifer,

I am Anna's lovely friend! Nice of her to describe me as such. I've just started reading your blog, so I'll post again later once I've read your story. So far I love the way you write. You certainly know how to capture the emotion of the journey.

My cancer was a 31mm Grade 3 duct carcinoma, ER neg, PR neg, HER2 pos, with no nodes and a large field of high grade DCIS. Five negative sentinel nodes. So Stage IIa.

My journey started mid June 2013, so I have finished my main chemo, but get herceptin for another six months or so. Herceptin is a wonder drug which takes my prognosis up to around the same as yours, I think.

I found being a pathologist a great help. I had a lot to learn but knowing the vocabulary and the disease process helped. Keeping calm when reading the statistics was important.

Happy to give my 2 cents worth of advice about getting through chemo if you have any questions. I had a great chemo team here in Toowoomba, Queensland.

I'll pass your blog details to a friend in France (an American)who will really appreciate it, I think.

Good Luck.

Maryanne (Gunther) Hill said...

Jenn, when dad (Great uncle Bill Gunther) shared your blog, I was dumb founded and any air I had in my sail for the day was gone! I am at a loss of words, but your words are brought me a sense af peace. Your family is strong and will be there for you. Prayers ~ long distance ~ are with you. Hopefully, as I can take this all in, I can share some more fluid thoughts... The Gunther family is with you ...

Unknown said...

Jenny, I have been in all of those dark places over the last year and a half, and I have also found the warmth of the sun quite often, though unexpectedly and in the form of sweatfests raging through my body at just the wrong time in front of my classes, a board meeting, or a conference presentation. Thus it shall be from now on as my cancer was estrogen/progesterone positive and I must block that evil estrogen for the next 5 years at least. My fiftieth birthday year was met with three surgeries, chemo, radiation, and immediate onset of menopause. Wow...I really know how to party, huh? My wisest advisors tell me that I am lucky to have the kind of cancer, if there is any luck to it, that can be further prevented by blocking estrogen, and also because there is a medicine to do that. I have taken Tamoxifen since September. It enhanced my sunshine moments quite a bit, and because of my situation, of course no hormone replacement is acceptable. Being without estrogen has enhanced the arthritic leftovers of my chemo treatments, and a curious and painful thing called trigger finger which has attacked my hands. Yippee. My oncologist suggested an over the counter product called Icool, which one must take for 6-8 weeks before any real result happens. It has significantly reduced the internal furnace episodes in my body, by at least half as much or more. Some others also use Black Cohash (sp) and have had a good result. The good news is that I don't seem to have some of the other side effects from Tamoxifen that I stupidly read about online. Please don't look that up. At first I stared down that five year road and thought this whole horrible thing will never end, but now it's just part of my day. I accept it, and yes, the dark clouds roll in, but thanks to Tamoxifen and menopause, the sun always returns...haha.

My radiation oncologist told me that anyone who has breast cancer can be sure that it will suck the life out of about two years of your life. I think he is right, and by the end of June this year, I am sending him a nasty letter if his predictions of relief do not prove true. I will say that now I am approximately 7 months out of treatment and I actually do somewhat feel like myself some days. I am happy to report that I actually smile now without having to make myself, and I am actually starting to feel better. PLUS, I have the CURLIEST HAIR!

At least there's that.

Praying for you and knowing that you will be fine, because I do really know that you will be fine. One minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month at a time. God bless and peace be with you.