22 May 2014

Booked




So this round of chemo was the hardest by a lot. And even here in week three, the side effects are pretty significant. But let us not dwell on that, nor, on this, T-4 days until my next (and LAST) chemo treatment (which is sure to be a house of horrors as each round gets worse than the last…). Instead, let us draw our attention to this:

KEITH AND I SENT OUR FINAL DRAFT TO THE PUBLISHER THIS WEEK.

Sorry for yelling. But 2014 has not been my friend so far, and there has been little to celebrate. And this is a great cause for celebration.

Keith and I had hoped to have the manuscript in early (a couple of weeks ago) but the chemo knocked me out too much for that. Then we hoped it would be on time. But, er, the third round, as I may have mentioned, was not so good, and one of the side effects has been an eye thing that means I don’t see well and can’t really read, which makes editing a whole book a little tricky. But we did it, and while the printer was spitting out sheets at 9.30 at night, Keith and I were nearly giddy with delight. We started talking about this book in 2005 and fleshed it out in 2006 and have been working to hone the ideas ever since. So the fact that we mailed the 96,933 words and nearly manuscript 300 pages off to the publisher is a massive accomplishment. I just wanted to share that with you.

Our book: Simple Habits for Complex Times: Powerful Practices for Leaders.
It’ll be out in early 2015 from Stanford Business Books.
We are VERY excited. But I may have mentioned that…

Pictures today: Me working late into the night on the final draft. Keith and me holding the finished manuscript. The flowers Michael brought me to celebrate!


6 comments:

Carolyn Coughlin said...

Congratulations, my dear friends and partners. I am so delighted for you and awed by the dedication and hard work and hard thinking and hard everything. The world is in for a treat!

Unknown said...

The completion of the manuscript is a massive achievement by Jennifer because as co-authors I am largely the co and she is very largely the author. We have thought this book through together over many years and while there are factoids and flourishes that are mine Jennifer has basically written it. I am proud of this book and to have been working with you in this venture Jennifer, from the time in Kiama in 2005 when I first started telling you "what you should write in your next book", and you taught me about asking questions, and I am deeply grateful for all you have done to create what I think will be a book leaders will find very helpful.
Keith

Anonymous said...

If finishing a term paper feels like a weight off the mind and even the body, I can only somewhat imagine what it must feel like to complete all those pages in your latest book.A Halleluia chorus and shouts of Author! Author are in order.Mazel tov! Patty

Duane said...

Wow, you two. Wow!

kavgarvey said...

Congrats Keith and Jenny!

kavgarvey said...

Congrats Keith and Jenny!