11 February 2007

Nikau walk

Today was a spectacular Sunday. Cool with vivid blue sky and hot sun. We went to a couple of local craft places (still on the search for the right bed after we've given all of our bedroom stuff to our friend Gregg in DC). Then, given our mission to do something fun and active each weekend day, we went for a walk in a nikau reserve. Nikaus are palm trees, the only palms native to New Zealand (and I think Keith said they were the southernmost palms in the world, and I hope he'll correct me if I'm wrong--watch for comments). I couldn't get a still picture that captured the feeling of the New Zealand bush (=forest)--the way the light moves, the thick canopy of palms, the lovely lushness of it. So here's a video, and you can walk with us through just a little piece of NZ. This reserve is just off the main highway about 15 minutes from our house. Excuse the quick New England reference--I know it's cruel given that New England is deep under snow and cold right now. Enjoy.

No comments: