16 January 2009

Life, here

Last weekend was the best and worst of life in New Zealand. It began with waking to the sound of the sea and the dozens of shades of grey and silver that a cloudy morning holds. This merged effortlessly into a walk on the beach with Michael, Aidan, and Perry, and then flowed into a fantastic Sunday-morning breakfast with Alli, our glorious American WWOOFer. And then the realisation that this was not just a regular Sunday here, but the corresponding Saturday when I would, in another life, have driven the long hours up the New Jersey Turnpike to have the Garvey Family Christmas.

I called at the appropriate time and heard the roar of the party in the background. I could see every piece of it—the guests blowing in out of the cold, the hugs in the foyer, the laughing and talking that marks one of these parties. And I, for the third year in a row, was a disembodied voice on the phone, a person passed from uncle to uncle to aunt, forcing the talker to cower in a back bedroom or bathroom so that he or she could hear what I was saying on a grey summer morning on the other side of the world.

Then, shaking my head after the disorientation of this winter phone call with so many people I love on the other side of the world, I went into the grey summer afternoon to go for a walk with some friends. This is New Zealand, though, so our walk—just a few minutes from the beach house our friends J and L were borrowing—was up lush, viney woods, lacy with ferns and palm trees. Together with J and L and their three kids, Michael and Aidan and Alli and I (Naomi was away at camp) pushed our bodies up up up a hill. We marvelled at the colours of the green, at the layers of the leaves, at the gentle sound of rain hitting the canopy high above us. After the walk there was lovely dinner at a cafĂ© and then a sunset walk on the beach north of here, with a whole different view of Kapiti. The boys sat down next to the water and played in the sand while the adults stood nearby and, well, played in the sand.

On the way home Alli quipped that if we really wanted to do well in the WWOOFer book, she needed a rainbow. We had popped into a grocery store on the way home and I glanced out the window at a sudden burst of sun on a cloudy day. I said, Your order has arrived, and out we went into the rain, to see the most amazingly bright rainbow lighting up the sky. We drove home, keeping the rainbow in sight over moderately ugly strip malls and magnificently beautiful hills. At home, we marvelled at the view of the sea, hills, and rainbow from our front porch.

And so that’s the life here. Magical and fantastic, and also on the other side of the world from everyone who shares our DNA. With every joy there is a corresponding sadness that I am so far away from those I love. People will ask, “So does your partner’s family live near by?” Nope. “So what family do you have here?” None. “None?!” People are amazed and horrified about that, and they talk about how they couldn’t do it, etc. And as they say how impressed they are, I think, “Hey, maybe this is the stupidest thing in the world!” And so it goes.

So here we sit, in the middle of summer holiday, wind blowing the sea into a frenzy, kids working each other into a frenzy. Naomi is home from 10 days at camp and reacclimating. I’m trying to get work done and play with my kids and not doing either very well. Sounds like holiday time. This weekend we’ll build a chicken coop (!) and play in the garden. I’ll try to finish a report. We’ll fly a kite in the park. We will enjoy one another and the lovely people who come and stay with us, and we will try to celebrate the life we have even as we mourn the life we don’t. That is perhaps the thing we are all called to do, every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Questions, and choices

Any weekend that includes a rainbow is pretty special. All those colors! And even one that’s not visible, since they say there’s gold at the bottom of that curve. That means gold under our feet, something precious nearby. But it’s illusive, and trying to find it starts pulling us in different directions. Is this it? Or is it over there? Or just over that beautiful hill…or way over that ocean?

At first blush the question might appear to be, where do I start looking? Right in front of my nose maybe? I love having this quiet time to sit down and write. And this cup of lemon zinger tea I’m sipping on between sentences really tastes great! And the piano music in the background is lovely. If life stood still right now, I would have nothing to complain about. I’m right in the moment, perfectly content.

Well, pretty much in the moment anyway. And mostly content. For I do invite other thoughts to creep into my awareness too. A cookie sure would taste good with this tea. And Janet went to a choral concert tonight. I’m sure she’s listening to great music. It would have been fun to go. We would have enjoyed it together. Was it the best choice for me to stay here?

That illusive precious experience. Is it here? Or there? Who fits into it with me? Where do I look?

Speaking of cookies, I remember this story about a little, hungry boy who put his hand in the cookie jar and grabbed a big handful. But the jar had a narrow mouth and he couldn’t pull his hand out because it was filled with too many delicious cookies. He was frustrated. He wanted them all, all at once. Life feels like that sometimes. Well, often actually. It’s hard to get patient and stay focused. No, the question isn’t really where to start looking. It’s more like, when and where do I stop?

That rainbow is so beautiful. It’s wonderful both to appreciate it and enjoy it with others. At the same time there can be a great satisfaction in knowing that we only see part of it. That means the rest of it reaches deeper than our own experience. It extends beyond that hill. It sinks deep into the ground, so deep that it comes out the other side of the world. Out where others can experience it. Others who are far away and who, as they look at it, think of us too.

Anonymous said...

These colorful rainbow thoughts remind me of the words of Forrest Church, Minister of the Unitarian Church of All Souls in NYC, from his book, Love and Death:

* DO WHAT YOU CAN
* WANT WHAT YOU HAVE
* EMBRACE WHO YOU ARE