14 January 2014

MRI results

        Ok, this one isn’t a post written in the fullness of time and with the distance of a day. The MRI results were not good.  But the good news is this: The doctor says this will not make any difference in the prognosis, just the treatment. The MRI of the lymph nodes looks clean, so there’s no greater threat of lymph node involvement than there was before. This cancer should not kill me. This cancer should not kill me. (I have taken to chanting this to myself.) 
But other news was less good. The tumour is larger than we thought (21 vs. 28mm) and there is a large band (8cm) of questionable tissue that they think is also cancer (not invasive cancer, but probably an early form of cancer). If they're right, my breast is filled with this early cancer.  So, instead of a lumpectomy on Thursday, we’ll fly up tomorrow for a biopsy of the questionable tissue (and it’s not even clear that this biopsy will work, so fingers crossed there or else it's another trip, and another biopsy, more waiting).  Results from that biopsy on Friday (if it worked). I’m scheduled for a full mastectomy (and I guess a reconstruction too— those options look very very grim) next Tuesday. A week in the hospital or in Auckland, healing. We are a little more scared and sad than yesterday--lots of tears in our house tonight.  Whatever you’re doing—singing, praying, meditating—it would be great if you could keep doing that, only just a little harder.

5 comments:

Beth Greenland said...

Jennifer we are sending you such love and healing energy- you are constantly in our thoughts...and may the friendships and love and compassion that you have brought to us all in this community you have created sustain and support you in the weeks ahead...with love, Beth

Anonymous said...

Deart Jennifer,

I just heard the news and wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family for a rapid and full recovery. I don't know how to use blogs, and I am hoping this makes it to you one way or another. Just lots of positive energy from NYC to you. Get well soon, you hear! Your friend, -Oliver

Anonymous said...

Hello - have been sitting here in Sydney sobbing as I read your blog. You continue to astound me with your inspirational wisdom and humour. I am torn between wanting to wish this away for you and leaping into action 'fixing it' mode (as you and I have discussed - my fatal flaw!) and just holding you and being there for you. So please know that I am here holding you and sending you strength from my well of strength that has been tested in the last few months and been restored through afternoon tea and conversation with you so now you can have it back :) Much much love - Susan Ferrier

Jimmy said...

Hiya, Kiddo--so glad to have rediscovered Kiwibergers. Thank you for sharing the journey. You are with me constantly. Today I dropped the car off for servicing in preparation for the weekend's trip to the Garvey gathering in Florida, and you were in my head as I talked to Eddie Butler. Then I walked to St. John and prayed in the chapel. You were there, of course. Now I'm home again and told Patricia about you, so you're with her, too. You have sown love all over the world and now the harvest is coming back to you when your body and soul most need it. So take my love too and put it in your barn. When you use it up, there will be lots more coming. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Anna Booy here: also praying from the quietness of the Blue Mountains. Peace and healing be with you dear friend. And from that great saint, Mother Julian, 'All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.'It kind of takes on a new depth at times like this, doesn't it? Much love