05 January 2007

Finding furniture for the neutral zone

Friday 5 January 2007

I think my mood flows with the weather, which is a shame, because the weather here is the worst in years. Yesterday, on the first day that felt like summer with its vivid blue skies and warm temperature, all seemed possible. Today, grey and windy again, I’m pensive and moody. (An aside: Raima, who is glorious and who has come today to help clean the house, said that yesterday was “shockingly hot” and apologized for it (kiwis are constantly apologizing for the weather). Mind you, I was in a fleece and light sweater all day, and was sometimes chilly, so “shockingly hot” scares me.)

I am in what is called by the writer William Bridges the “neutral zone.” This is the space after the endings have happened but before the new beginning has taken shape. It's a fertile, but uncomfortable, ground for growth. And that’s the space where I live: 3 Ocean Road, The Neutral Zone. I know what my old life was like, and know that it’s behind me—house sold, all things on a ship, job on hold, the four of us here in a new country and in a new season. And I have some sense of what the new life will be like: kids in school here, me working in Wellington a little and writing my book more, living in this house by the sea. But most of that hasn’t happened yet, and I don’t know what it’ll be like.

The house itself is a perfect metaphor for this time. I see what it looks like, but it’s got none of our furniture in it, has other people’s chairs and tables and beds. That makes it both strange (it’s not our stuff) and also tentative (you have to be careful because it’s not our stuff). The kids have to be gentle with the furniture, we agonize over a broken cereal bowl, and we try to be vigilant about holding pens while sitting on other people’s upholstery. We can’t get used to this because it’s not permanent, and we can’t replace it with things that are permanent because we have things coming on a slow boat from Baltimore. So the drafty floor won’t get its rugs yet, the dining room chairs won’t match, and we’ll have to try to remember what colors our actual furniture is so that we can match the walls to a sofa still on the sea.

My life is like that, too. I have work to do but I can’t quite get to it yet with the kids home on summer vacation. I assume I’ll be able to get connected and make friends—both through work and also through activities at school or in the village, but school, work, and yoga won’t start until February. And so I live inside a life that’s furnished with temporary things, things that don’t quite belong to me, things that I need to get used to, but not attached to. And just like I can’t quite imagine what this house will look like once it’s filled with our things, I can’t imagine what my life will be like once I settle in some. This is the time for unsettled-ness.

And I don’t quite know who I’ll be at the end of it, either. How will I make sense of myself in this new land? Right now, Michael takes the train to work each day, and I stay home with the kids. Right now, when people ask me what I do, I stumble and stammer. What do I do? I came here to write a book—but I’m not even sure which book I’m talking about when I say that (the book on my own that’s half finished with a long overdue contract or the book with Keith that I’m more excited about?). And I came here to do some work, but I don’t have any idea what I’ll actually do at NZCER. I know who I am when I’m the college professor who lives in the middle of Adams Morgan and takes her kids to bilingual school each day—or JCC summer camp in the summer. I’m a workaholic, someone who travels the country to do my Kenning consulting, someone who loves the work she does at George Mason University (fantastic new website, Mark!), someone who gets up too early to write and stays up too late working. There, I’m someone who feels guilty for not spending enough time with the children. But that’s not who I am here. Here my kids and I bake together each day, walk on the beach each day, grow frustrated with each other each day. My Kenning and Mason Colleagues hardly know what to do with me in this new phase. And I don’t know what to do with myself. Here I am the new American woman in town. I am the wife of the guy who is in charge of leadership development at DoC. I’m the one who walks with the two blonde kids in the wetsuits, picking up shells. There is no knowing yet what is possible for me inside this context. There is no knowing who I’ll come to be. There is no furniture to borrow to make the neutral zone of my psyche more lovely or comfortable. When do you think that ship will come in?

In nature, I love liminal zones, the spaces in between one form and the next. My favourite parts are often the wetlands where the land meets the water, the tidepools that are neither part of the shore nor part of the sea. I love the richness of those spaces, love to watch the hawks soar or the crabs scurry for cover. I live in that space now, neither here nor there, but somehow in between here and there. I haven’t given lots of thought to how dependent those spaces are on the weather, though. Too-high tides, and the tidepool shellfish will drown; too low and they’ll be seagull food. Now I’m like that, too, so much in the liminal space that tea with a new friend has me feeling like we’ll settle in to this new home with ease and delight, and a grey day at home makes me feel bereft and alone. And so I try to be like the tidal creatures and just flow with the tide, to notice the shifts in the weather and not believe that any of them are forever. This is all temporary, all just what life feels like in this space, and eventually the pattern will emerge and I’ll find my way to a more stable place. And until then, I (and you, Gentle Reader) will have to find the liminal space beautiful and fertile, if somewhat unfurnished.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel very uneasy here because I was not party to the intense discussions you had before arriving in the NZ. For the most part I have the contents of this on-line journal and I ask in advance that you be patient with me as I wander around in this very personal space.

So I’m wondering whether the accustomed sense of purpose (which seems not to be something you are seeking to leave behind) may be finding an outlet in a search for inner growth and meaning. And I’m wondering whether any growth is necessary right now. It may even be a burdensome pursuit.

I’m wondering whether ‘limbo’ befits this period more than ‘liminality’ which you describe as a neutral zone offering time for growth following internal changes. Has the ‘internal’ landscape changed as much as the ‘external’ landscape of house, workplace, schools and activities? Please understand that I am asking, not ‘questioning’. I feel that the current context will not be around long enough to serve as a backdrop to growth. I think that sometimes the best ‘growth’ in turbulent times can come from holding on to the known.

Now I can see the potential for internal change as you settle into your new work and relationships. But while ‘what’ you do will change, it will still be ‘you’ placing your unique signature on the work. I think it’s really important for you to pace yourself. Allow change to unfold as she’s ready. I mean enough already girl!

I’m hearing an assault on your sense of identity – good; so focus your care right there. Do finances allow for you to adopt as your own a room that you can decorate and furnish all new? Simply, but beautifully. Right Now. A space for continuity. A sanctuary, with your unique signature, which waits for no ship.

Concentrated work during school holidays can be difficult, but bursts of inspirational note-taking give relief. Audio books can be a welcome distraction too. More than anything Jennifer, I think these next few weeks (and they are few) are your time for recuperation. There has been plenty of renewal and there’s more to come. Sleep during the day. Don’t wash your hair. Don’t get dressed if you don’t want to. Find out the cost for French polishing the borrowed dining table and see if that can buy some deserved relaxation. Dance when the sunshines. Stick your finger up at the rain. Be Mum, American, Wife and You.

With love my friend,
Patsy

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of a favorite poem by David Wagoner called Lost. Perhaps you will find some "truth" in it for yourself.

Lost

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger.
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen.
It answers, I have made this place around you
If you leave it you may come back again, saying Here.

No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows
Where you are. You must let it find you.

From a friend of Michael's ~

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking some more on this beautiful post. Let me see if I can trace your path: there was a dissatisfaction in the States; you sought inner and outer change; you fell in love with something and someone(s) in NZ; you re-organized your life to follow the passion (was this your passion?; then having emptied, there is an aloneness and barreness when there is darkness and wetness outside?

Okay, in my last post I suggested balancing the war-torn weariness with self-care; and the psychic devastation with authentic creativity (a space of your own). I think there may be something else, a voice, a self that is breaking through to consciousness. This may be a self that is inviting you to tea to ask if she may join you in your fertile place. You are pregnant with her. In labour I suspect. There is something in your writing that voices an incompleteness that is only symbolized by something of yours still at sea. There is also a sense of being over-filled 'with other people's stuff' that you must not violate - again symbolic. Is there a clue to the nature of this missing self in the beautiful symbolism of the tidepool; where land (the realm of safety, stability, acceptance by others)and water (the realm of emotion, values, connection, authenticity, centredness, being true to self). What about this self is liable to being eaten alive if exposed, or drowned in her own emotion if outer 'conditions' remain unfavourable? Has this denied self shown herself to you, in exaggerated form - only because she's trying to get your attention. Perhaps she's been in the face, stance and voice of another that you have recently reviled and/or admired. "How can this one be?" Was this self once rejected and is now needed to feel full again. Creative. Generative. Accompanied. Vital. I doubt that she is scarey. I have come to feel that small things that we deny (like rest) become surpressed in the shadows and grow in the dark wetness to become what feels like abject laziness - this is stated for illustration only. We disdain this quality in others and sometimes admire the quality in the easy-going nature of others. When we keep forging on in our industry, any lowering of our guard gives way to it's extreme opposite. Either way we are 'destroyed'. However, the opposite side only feels extreme because the human need has intensified and has spent a very long time trying to get our attention anyway it can! We are wise to be conscious and self-loving at this time and listen into the small voice behind the megaphone. "Oh hello", she says, I've missed you. I have something for you - something to heal you. By the way, I love you. It's good to be home. Nice place. What's with the rain? Hold me a while. Then I'll tell you all about it."

Patsy
[BTW: if you are reading developmental stuff into what I have just said, I'd like you to know that I believe that in our highest stages of awareness we recognize that we occupy all earlier stages and we are accepting of that. At earlier stages, we need the pride and ambition to fuel the journey upwards. While that journey is inclusive of prior stages, there is much that needs to be negated. It is in the later stages, that we return to reclaim lost parts. I believe that is the goal of seeking unity and oneness in the self. That's the soul's journey. Only then are we ready to seek unity with Spirit. If we miss the first part of the re-unification process, we become dodgy as we hang out on the street corners of the cosmos!]